Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2018 17:35:04 -0500
From:      Rick Miller <vrwmiller@gmail.com>
To:        Ewald Jenisch <a@jenisch.at>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: HP Proliant DL385 Gen10 refuses to boot FreeBSD 11

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 8:44 AM, Ewald Jenisch <a@jenisch.at> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Got a new HP Proliant DL385 Gen10 Server and wanted to install
> FreeBSD. Starting from FreeBSD-11.1-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso mounted
> via the iLo virtual CD device the system started with the usual
> install boot, but then suddenly crashed and rebooted the whole system
> - boot loop basically.
>
> I started playing around in the BIOS of the System trying UEFI
> vs. legacy BIOS, as well a bunch of other parameters but to no extent:
> the system just crashes when upon booting from the installation media :-(
>
> To cross check I tried to boot a Linux installation media (Ubuntu
> Server 16.04) and the server booted from the Linux ISO without any
> problem. So I'm pretty sure it's something FreeBSD related.
>
> My questions:
>
> o) Anybody else out there seen a problem like this on a HP DL385 Gen10?
>
> o) Any cure against it?

You'd do well by making sure the RAID controller is supported by FreeBSD.
Some time in the last 6 months or so, I heard this generation was
introducing a new RAID controller that would require a new driver. If it
does, indeed, have a new RAID controller it could likely be your problem.

--
Take care
Rick Miller