Date:      Sat, 26 Jan 2002 15:12:14 -0700
From:      "Brad Morgan" <B-Morgan@concentric.net>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Compatible Modem?

I've never had problems with my internal modems, but I'll only buy internal
modems that configure as a serial port.  I have many USRobotics and Hayes
modems that have worked quite nicely with Windows, Linux, and FreeBSD.

I don't agree with the general statement: internal = bad, external = good.

I will agree that external modems have a higher success ratio than internal
modems, mostly because Winmodems poison the internal pool.

Regards,

Brad