Date:      Wed, 24 Jul 1996 19:11:50 -0400
From:      Brad Parker <brad@american.com>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        brad@american.com, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gcc 2.7.2 + binutils 2.7 on stable?

jdp@polstra.com said:
> > I've been trying to build gcc-2.7.2 and binutils 2.7 on a "stable"
> > system (i.e. sup'd from the stable release).  I give up.  I can't get
> > bfd and ld to do the right thing.

... [part about "ASM_WEAKEN_LABEL" deleted - thanks! I'll try that]

> As another option:  Reportedly, it's not that hard to get just the
> assembler from binutils working for FreeBSD.  Our linker seems to
> support weak symbols, so if you can get the binutils assembler
> working, then you should be able to use it with the stock gcc-2.7.2
> and the native linker.

I got the binutils-2.7 gas to work, but the a.out's which came from
gcc-2.7.2 + binutils-2.7-gas + native-2.1-ld would crash in odd ways...
(I beleive it would segv in libfd)

If I recompiled using the native gas the crash would go away...

I'll try the first idea - thanks again.

-brad