Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 1999 02:48:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Brian Adkins <brian@lojic.com>
Cc:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG, nate@mt.sri.com
Subject:   Re: Java support

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999, Brian Adkins wrote:

> At 09:12 PM 3/14/99 -0600, Steve Price wrote:
> ># Personally I think a free OS combined with Java is an incredible
> ># combination; however, when I read things like "this might work for you, or
> ># it might not" on the Java port page, it makes me not want to consider
> ># FreeBSD as a host for my server even though everything else about FreeBSD
> ># gets me excited.
> >
> >Can you site some specific examples of what's troubling you.  I can
> >try it on one of about a dozen FreeBSD boxes at work to see if it
> >indeed works.
>
> Wow!  You guys sure are responsive!
>
> There isn't a specific example of what's troubling me because I haven't
> even installed FreeBSD yet.  One of my concerns has been the time
> difference between when the JDK is ready on NT / Solaris and when it's
> ready on the free OS's as well as what "ready" means.  I'm currently
> developing on JDK 1.2 although so far I haven't written anything that can't
> be run with JDK 1.1.6 and the Swing classes, so hopefully I can find some
> time in the next week, or so, to install FreeBSD & Java and test my app.
> Maybe I can help out with beta testing upcoming JDK's if things go well.

You may want to think on that.  I know of two groups that are purposely
keeping their development at 1.1.7, because using the jdk from then lets
you change your swing release to whatever you want (swing being a set of
libs kept separate from the jdk) while in 1.2 (Java2) it's part of the
jdk.  It allows them to be more flexible.  On top of that, there were a
couple of last minute changes to the jdk in 2 that made serious
slowdowns in some graphics routines.

> Thanks again for all the responses I received so quickly.
>
> Brian Adkins

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).