Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 2002 07:28:33 -0500
From:      Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Optimizations and XFree86-4-libraries port

Any particular reason optimizations are used for the shared libs but not
for the unshared?  I watched the XFree86-4-libraries port compile, and
couldn't help noticing that the object files in the "shared/"
directories were being optimized with the CFLAGS specified in
/etc/make.conf.  Meanwhile, the optimizations were stripped away totally
(i.e. no -O or anything, just a bare cc line) for the object files being
compiled into the "unshared/" directory.

That sure is odd.  Is there a particular reason?  I noticed a script:
scripts/configure that possibly should be putting the CFLAGS specified
in /etc/make.conf into the temporary host.def.  Surely, this host.def
file should contain the optimizations to be used for the compile.  That
is, unless it was the port maintainer's intention to build the unshared
libs with no optimizations.

Just wondering; that's all.  BTW, I noticed the same thing was happening
for the Open Motif port as well.