Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 1996 14:34:38 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jimd@mistery.mcafee.com (Jim Dennis)
Cc:        helio@compuland.com.br, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Password in a directory

> > Is it possible to put a password in a directory, so the
> > user need to type to have access granted ?
>
> 	I don't know of any way to do this using "standard" Unix
> 	conventions.
>
> 	You could create a special group -- with a password
> 	and allow access using the newgrp(1) command (which
> 	seems to be conspicuously missing from FreeBSD).

This would work... the password field exists in the group file
because of this.  This would assume no default membership in
the group.

This wouldn't prompt for a password at "cd" opr "open" traversal
time, however, so it would be rather kludgy in practice, unless
you built it into your program (and then you could just SGID
the program and impose a password on program use instead).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.