Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 1997 10:11:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Kevin Eliuk <kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Subject:   Re: Learn Program

On Tue, 10 Jun 1997, Kevin Eliuk wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thanks to Annelise Anderson, Brian Kernighan has made
> accessible the old source code for `Unix Learn'.  The

Actually primary thanks are owed to Marty Leisner!

> old source is in bad need of updating. It can be found at:
>
> http://cm.bell-labs.com/who/bwk/learn.tar.gz
>
> :for anyone that would be interested in looking at it to
> see what it would take to make this a workable program again.
>
> Joerg has written some patches already that I will forward upon
> request.
>
> Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you :)

"Learn" runs on all of Stanford's generally accessible unix machines.
The source code as they revised it is available on my anonymous
ftp server at andrsn.stanford.edu.

Kernighan's purpose in creating the program was, according to those
files, to provide direct interaction with the unix system.  From the
little I've used it, "learn" seems to be a systematic and orderly way
to learn unix basics from a user point of view, and it might be
worthwhile to provide such a utility.

Annelise