From:      Sam Carleton <scarleton@miltonstreet.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: the best MUA

Mike Meyer wrote:

> > From: Marc van Woerkom <marc.vanwoerkom@science-factory.com>
> > > To read email I have been using
> > > Pine, but I was wondering if there are any better options out there?
> > > Any recomendations?
> > Emacs is bloated er.. a meta operating system and offers a spartanic
> > mail mode ('rmail'/'mail') and an advanced one hidden in its main news
> > reader 'gnus'.
>
> To add to the "meta operating system" comment - there are also MUA's
> in emacs that interact with mh (the emacs of MUAs), and a very
> advanced one called VM. Which - if any - are bundled with your emacs
> will depend on the distribution. Personally, I use VM, the qmail
> redirection facilities, and fetchmail.But I wouldn't advice anyone to
> look at the emacs mail readers unless they were already using emacs.

Amen to that.  I have the O'Reilly book on emacs, read it a few times, but
it never sat right with me:)  I understand that it is a very powerful
editor, but I finally gave in, and bought the vi book.  I am now an vi
user:)

> However, this question has as deep a religious character as the
> question about "best editor", and is best left that way.

I believe deeply religious is an understatement:)  Until I asked, though I
only knew of pine:)

I am going to try mutt, and I might even try emacs:)
--
Sam Carleton
Please stop by http://www.maineville.net and