Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2001 13:46:56 -0500
From:      Daniel Frazier <dfrazier@magpage.com>
To:        Clayton Tycksen <clay@tycksen.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: psmintr out of sync

Clayton Tycksen wrote:

> hey all,
>

> yes, i'm getting the "psmintr out of sync" error when i try to use my
> mouse. stopping/starting/adjusting the mouse daemon doesn't help.
>

> i'm running FreeBSD 4.2.
>

> the mouse is a Microsoft USB Intellimouse Explorer (5 button) with a
> USB->PS/2 adapter.  i'm using the mouse through a switch (Belkin
> OmniView Pro), so i'm using the PS/2 adapter.  i've got a similar setup
> at home, similar mouse/switch/cables, etc... with no problems.  but my
> machine at home is running FreeBSD 4.4. i'm guessing that the problem
> was fixed in/before 4.4.
>

> from searching archives, i have seen that a possible fix for this is to
> use a serial adapter on the mouse and connect it to a serial port.
> since i need to use my switch, that really isn't an option.
>

> does anyone have any other solutions/suggestions as to a workaround for
> this problem?  i'm a newbie, so you may have to be somewhat detailed in
> your response.
>

> thanks,
>

> clay

you didn't search hard enough.  I've personally answered this question
at least a couple of times in the last year or so.  what you need to
do is make the psm line in your kernel config file look like this...

device             psm0    at atkbdc? irq 12 flags 0x100

...and then compile/install a new kernel.  "man psm" would have
answered this for you as well.

one last thing... Just Say NO! to HTML email.  'nuff said.

Daniel Frazier  <dfrazier@magpage.com>   Tel:  302-239-5900 Ext. 231
Systems Administrator                    Fax:  302-239-3909
MAGPAGE, We Power the Internet           WWW:  http://www.magpage.com/

         - Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.