Date:      Sat, 8 Jan 2000 02:04:18 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        William Wong <willwong@anime.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ports Dependancies again

William Wong wrote:

> I had some problems installing gd as it's required by webalizer.
>
> gd seems to depend on a bunch of stuff which in the end it required the
> X11.6 library so it wanted to install X.
>
> Is there a way I can just install the library without X? I'm running on a
> 486 which has little space so I can't afford to isntall all of X.

I think you need Xbin.tgz and Xprog.tgz from the appropriate place (i.e.
${XVERSION}/binaries/FreeBSD-${FREEBSDVERSION}) or your nearest XFree86
mirror, or /cdrom/XF86335 if you have the CDs. Once you have those, I
think you can just extract "lib/*" and "include/*", i.e. do

# cd /usr/X11R6
# tar xzfv Xbin.tgz "include/*" "lib/*"
# tar xzfv Xprog.tgz "include/*" "lib/*"

I'm not sure if this will work, but it's worth a try. The programs which
need the X libraries may well need a display to run (though I'm sure gd
doesn't).

--
Ben Smithurst            | PGP: 0x99392F7D
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk |   key available from keyservers and