Date:      Thu, 04 Sep 1997 09:09:52 +0900
From:      itojun@itojun.org
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Making FreeBSD display 16-bit (Kanji) characters

>> > How would one go about doing that, in X (and out if possible).  I'm
>> > messing around with Internationalization support in Java, and would like
>> > to do something besides english language stuff.  (Canadian support is
>> > done fairly easily by adding 'Eh' to everything. *grin*)
>> kterm, which I think is in the ports collection, is capable of displaying
>> JIS character sets...
>Hmm, that didn't seem to work.  Methinks that 'unicode' support in Java
>and NT is mostly hot-air, since actually displaying is non-existant as
>far as we can tell.

	I believe there's no unicode-xterm nor unicode font for X.
	Unicode is not used at all in daily Japanese computing life.
	It is used in some specific systems, such as Java, Apple Newton, or
	BeOS.

	There's some conversion table between unicode<->jis, so you can
	write filter for that...

>ps. I have the Japanese (jis) fonts installed, though they don't appear
>to be used.

	kterm will use this.

itojun