Date:      Fri, 26 Nov 2004 17:21:15 -0700
From:      Scott Long <scottl@freebsd.org>
To:        "Michael G. Jung" <mikej@confluenttech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.3 on ultra2: scsi disk not detected

Michael G. Jung wrote:
> Apologies - this should have originated from a real email account....
>
> I have had OpenBSD/NetBSD/Solaris on my Ultra2 and had no problems with
> disk detection nor partitioning.  However, when I install 5.3 DA0 was
> fine, DA1 was detected and I could partition it but when sysinstall went
> to run newfs it complained that the partitions on DA1 did not exist.  If I
> went back and looked at the partitions on DA1 it indeed looked as if it
> had not been partitioned.  I finally gave up and simply installed to
> DA0 and once FreeBSD
> was up and running manually partioned DA1 and ran newfs etc....

This is more likely due to sysinstall bugs than anything else.

> Other than this it has been very stable.  Just for reference here is my
> system info:

My only other guess here is that the problem drives are violating the
SCSI spec or otherwise behaving in a way that upsets the driver.  A SCSI
trace would be best, but I know that's not possible for most people.
I'll give a shot over the weekend at enabling some diagnostics in the
driver.

Scott