Date:      Sat, 7 Sep 2002 16:05:04 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        Tim Vanderhoek <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>, Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>, <arch@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Make more things honor NOFSCHG

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> At 7:08 PM -0400 9/6/02, Tim Vanderhoek wrote:
> >
> >I think I left the old NOFSCHG in place because I didn't want to
> >break people who used it.
> >
> >I guess I could remove it from -current.  I know it's used in at

OK with me.

> >least Makefile.inc1.  If I remove it, I suppose INSTALLFLAGS_EDIT
> >should be documented somewhere as the replacement, but I'm not
> >sure where the best place for this documentation is.
> >
> >Alternatively, I could simply reimplement it in bsd.lib.mk to
> >use the INSTALLFLAGS_EDIT.

That would defeat the point of simplifying things by not having 2 knobs
(one of which only worked for libraries).

> How about, in Makefile.inc1,
>     Check to see if NOFSCHG is set.  If it is, print out an error
>     message which tells the user the "new way to do it", and abort.

That would defeat the point of simplifiying things by removing cruft.

> I am only suggesting this for current.  I don't know where
> INSTALLFLAGS_EDIT should be documented, I assume it would be
> any place which presently documents NOFSCHG ...

I think NOFSCHG is documented mainly in bsd.lib.mk,v:

% RCS file: /home/ncvs/src/share/mk/bsd.lib.mk,v
% Working file: bsd.lib.mk
% head: 1.136
% ----------------------------
% revision 1.87
% date: 1999/06/24 22:50:19;  author: jmg;  state: Exp;  lines: +3 -3
% add support to buildworld as a normal user:
% 	-DNOFSCHG	disables installation of libs with flag schg
% 	GAMEGRP		change the group with which games are installed
%
% also organize the binary section into alphebetical order some what..

This shows that it was only intended to work for buildworld.  It doesn't
affect programs because none that set fschg is installed by buildworld.

Bruce