Date:      Sat, 18 May 2002 14:48:42 -0400
From:      Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@halplant.com>
To:        Joe Gwozdecki <joegw@neosoft.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sending attachments

Joe,

> I notice some of you send in attachments with your posts.  I can tell
> you I never open them.  Too dangerous to click on anything today, in
> e-mail.

I think you under the common misunderstanding that email itself is
dangerous, when of course it's not. Email is nothing but a piece of text
with at least one blank line in it.

The danger comes only from the use of approximately one company's software
products. Despite this company's very well-known record for producing
fundamentally broken software which puts the user's data and system at
risk simply by its use (which is the worst thing any software can ever
do), a large number of people still seem to use it. I have no idea why.

For example, I have used email for over a decade on many platforms and
using many different mail clients and have never had any problems such as
viruses, trojans, buffer overflows or other malware.

> I would humbly suggest never sending attachments if you want more people
> to read your stuff.  It is just as easy to send it in the main body of
> your message.  Otherwise, count on a number of people, never seeing what
> you wrote.

That would be missing the point entirely. MIME is perfectly safe and is
the only standard way of sending `files' by email. It provides a way to
put the file in the message and to identify the type and name of the file
for the recipient.

In a group like this, it is useful to be able to send patches and other
types of files. Trying to put this kind of content in the body of a
message makes the job of extraction unnecessarily difficult and
unreliable.

What the recipient chooses to do with the mail and the file is entirely
the responsibility of the recipient. Just because you send me a script
which does a "fsck -y /", doesn't mean I have to save it, su to root and
run it without reading it.

So, in the end, perhaps instead you should advise others to "choose good
software and use it sensibly" and maybe offer suggestions. Since you're
posting to a FreeBSD group, you're mostly going to be preaching to the
proverbial choir.

-Andrew-