Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 1997 17:37:49 +0100
From:      Martijn Koster <mak@webcrawler.com>
To:        www@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        bp@webcrawler.com
Subject:   Handbook/sup-file bug, or "Staying unstable with FreeBSD"

This must have been noticed before.

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook.html says:

   This handbook covers ... Release 2.2.2

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook237.html#488 says:

   Use the cvsup program with <this supfile>.

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/src/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile has:

   # The following line is for 2.1-stable.  If you want 2.2-stable, change
   # "RELENG_2_1_0" to "RELENG_2_2".
   *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_2_1_0

This isn't very helpful -- I didn't spot that, and have obviously been
downgrading my machine, no wonder everything and its brother breaks on
make world.

I suggest fixing the supfile (who cares about 2_1_0?), or at the very
least mentioning in handbook237.html#488 that you need to make this
change.

Regards,

-- Martijn Koster, m.koster@pobox.com