Date:      Sun, 05 Dec 1999 11:44:57 -0800
From:      Ed Hall <edhall@screech.weirdnoise.com>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@hub.freebsd.org>
Cc:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com, kris@hub.freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCI DMA lockups in 3.2 (3.3 maybe?)

You write:
: 	we can not identify the specific problem from this message.
: without sufficient information to indentify and hopefully reproduce
: the problem, we can not address it.  please provide this information
: if it is available to you. if it is not, please provide us contact
: information for the commercial entities experiencing the problem.

I work at Yahoo.  My address there is "edhall@yahoo-inc.com".

On a recent project I encountered two show-stopping bugs with 3.3-release
that did not exist in 2.2.8-release:

1) Random crashes in FXP interrupt or low-level IP code.  Something is
   clobbering the kernel stack--possibly the NCR driver, since using an
   Adaptec made the problem stop, as did a backport of the CAM driver
   Peter Wemm tried.  This was on an N440BX, which is becoming quite
   common in server applications.  Other installations are apparantly
   seeing the same problem on this hardware.

2) A hard loop in the pagedaemon.  This was especially egregious, since
   it meant the system had to be rebooted from the console--and since
   the application could elicit the problem within a few minutes.
   Disabling the use of mmap() for file update in the application
   prevented the problem.  After spending a day trying to cook up a
   test program that elicited the same behavior that the application
   did, I gave up for lack of time.  But there have been other reports
   of late that sound like this problem, mostly in high VM/RAM situations.

That's two serious bugs that exist in 3.3-release but not in 2.2.8-release.
Looking back through the archives, I can see that I'm not the only one who
has experienced them.  I came away from the experience with the feeling that
the FreeBSD project has some serious Q/A problems... and I can assure you,
I'm not alone in this feeling.

		-Ed