Date:      Wed, 1 Oct 1997 04:27:45 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@unix.tfs.net>
To:        richard@a42.deep-thought.org (Richard Jones)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD TCP stack SUX big juicy ones.

sorry for the "S/N ratio", occasionally we use humor to break the
monotony.  a commercial linux is funny.  as funny as bsdi.

i sent the vi -vs- emacs message to make a point, and that point was:
"let's not start another holy war".

sarcasm in order to make a valid point is sometimes needed in order to
drive a point home.

in this mailing list are probably some of the brightest minds in the
world, and there will soon be an answer to the previous gentleman's
questions concerning tcp/ip oddities.

if we are going to be as involved with computers as we are, we must
have both a finely developed sense of dark humor, as well as that of
sarcasm.

words to live by.

"You RRRRaaaaaaaannnnnggg?"
"Cocktails Lurch!  Use the good hemlock!" - Gomez Addams, [my childhood hero]

In reply:
> Reinier Bezuidenhout <rbezuide@oskar.nanoteq.co.za> writes:
> > Greetings good and humble user ...
> >
> > > was not technical enough for the hackers@freebsd.org list and got lost
> > > amongst techno-gems such as "Our *NIX is better than their *NIX" and
> > > "The number of the beast is vi vi vi".  Now as important as these issues are I
> > It would not amaze me if you didn't get any answer with this e-mail ...
> >

> well be amazed.  Your reply is one more than I received with a serious
> subject header.  Do people here hit <d> for all messages that don't contain
> the words "linux" or "plug and play" coz my short 72 hours on the list seem
> to indicate this to be so?
>
> > So .. sorry .. I don't have a technical answer for you,
> > explaining what happens, but maybe it's the attitude of you
> > TCP/IP stack that's the problem :)
> >

> You are probably right, my TCP/IP stack has been more than a little ornery
> of late.  Me and the rest of the kernel have been talking to it regarding the
> shocking attitude problem exhibited recently.  The damn thing just has no
> respect for authority.  Anyways someone should give it a good talking to
> before it starts leading to faceless DoS attacks.
>
> > But like I know the guys at FreeBSD ... they probably won't
> > get offended by this and reply anyway :)
>
> Or maybe the guys at FreeBSD who can answer the question don't even read
> this list coz of the low SNR.
>
> oh well.

jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you    |  "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid  |  briefed, debriefed, indexed, or