Date:      Sun, 19 Aug 2001 04:32:33 -0700
From:      Brent Kearney <brent@kearneys.ca>
To:        Core Dump <coredump@geodezie.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: make !!!???!

On Sun, Aug 19, 2007 at 12:28:33PM +0000, Core Dump wrote:
> Hi all,
> I  have FreeBSD 4.0 and when I want to compile my kernel in
> ../../compile/
> with:::
> make depend
> I get this strange error: "don't know how to make depend" or "no target
> to make"
> even MYKERNEL config  is in there !
>
> What I can't make to build my kernel ???

Hard to say what is going wrong from the information you've
given.  Though maybe you forgot to run the 'config' command
to generate your kernel source.

Have you followed these steps (note that the name 'MYKERNEL'
is just an example, and you should actually name it something
suitable to your host, like your hostname)?

Change into the kernel config file directory.
    # cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf

Create a kernel config file suitable to your environment.
    # cp GENERIC MYKERNEL ; vi MYKERNEL , etc

Run config(8) to generate the kernel source code.
    # /usr/sbin/config MYKERNEL

Change into the build directory.
    # cd ../../compile/MYKERNEL

Compile the kernel.
    # make depend
    # make

Install the new kernel.
    # make install

The above is pretty much straight from the handbook.

Cheers,

Brent