Date:      Mon, 30 Jul 2001 09:08:55 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        "Kenneth P. Stox" <stox@imagescape.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Subject:   RE: Another article mentioning FreeBSD and Microsoft

On 04-Jul-01 Kenneth P. Stox wrote:

> On 03-Jul-01 Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>> This is just a rehash of stories that have already run last week,
>> there's nothing new here.  One of the Linux e-rags already covered
>> the trial license, and in fact the URL on the Microsoft site that
>> pointed to the trial license and was listed in the Linux article
>> has already gone to 404 status.
>
> Yes, it is a rehash, but, it may be useful as a reference to someone trying to
> convince their management to look at FreeBSD. To the typical IT manager, I
> think
> ZDnet will have a little more weight than one of the Linux rags.
>
> Maybe it is time to start a new list, freebsd-news, with the sole purpose
> publicizing references to FreeBSD instead of congesting the -advocacy list. I
> think this would be a useful resource for many in marketing FreeBSD to their
> management, staff, and customers.

While on the topic: Would it not be a good idea to have some published FreeBSD
posters, or anyway something youy could print which looks good and would attract
people to FreeBSD?

I have made a A4-sized CD-wrapper/envelope with a frontpage that says "Chose
FreeBSD you too" and text on the inside explaining what FreeBSD is, what you can
do with it, why you should use it, numer of ports (>3100 at the time) and some
short installation tips. The backside of the wrapper had place for stamp and
adress as well as some pointers for FreeBSD-related websites. I put a swedish
made CD in it and handed out to students (M. Sc in computers and ditto in
physics mostly) with great success. As described in daemonnews in july I rely
heavily on FreeBSD for the laboratories I run. So they see what I do and do
likewise - or anyway get interested.

If I recall correctly I think Oliver Fromme made some artwork of Chuck made out
of ports-names? I have one such picture made out of 4 A4:s on my door. It
attracts attention and I would like to see more like that.

I like the idea of freebsd-news.

/Micke