Date:      Mon, 9 Dec 1996 12:56:42 -0600 (CST)
From:      Dave Bodenstab <imdave@synet.net>
To:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org, sckhoo@tm.net.my
Subject:   Re: fetchmail and local mail agents

>         I have a machine which run dialup every hour and get the mail down
> using fetchmail and thro local mail agent distribute the mail to the right
> receiver.

What version of fetchmail?  Things change from version to
version...

>         the command i use is
>
>         fetchmail -a -m "/usr/libexec/local.mail" -u tnc pop.tm.com
>
>         but it doesn't work because /usr/libexec/local.mail need some
> argument when run.
>
>         Anybody did something like this, please help.

Did you read the man page for mail.local? ...

I'm running fetchmail 2.1 (but am planning to upgrade to 2.2 momentarily,
since I had to hack fetchmail to get it to work) and I run fetchmail as
a daemon from my rc.local at boot time.
The command I use is:

/usr/local/bin/fetchmail --fetchmailrc /usr/local/etc/fetchmailrc \
			 --idfile /usr/local/etc/fetchmailids \
			 --logfile /var/log/fetchmail \
			 --daemon 600

and /usr/local/etc/fetchmailrc is:

poll MYSERVER protocol pop3 username MYUSERNAME password XXXXX is MYUSERNAME
	fetchall mda "/usr/libexec/mail.local -f fetchmail %s"

Note that the version of fetchmail that you use will affect the
fetchmailrc file -- I think 2.1 put back the `%s' argument for
the mda program.  You may want to use procmail as your mda
instead of mail.local.  Read the man page for mail.local and the
docs for fetchmail.  In addition, be sure to get and install the latest
fetchmail.

Dave Bodenstab
imdave@synet.net