Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 1995 18:37:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      -Vince- <vince@penzance.econ.yale.edu>
To:        Brian Gottlieb <brian@arl.wustl.edu>
Cc:        Gary Palmer <gary@palmer.demon.co.uk>, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade to my machine

On Wed, 23 Aug 1995, Brian Gottlieb wrote:

> -Vince-  <vince@penzance.econ.yale.edu> (Vince) writes:
>
> >> freefall has 64Mb of swap on each of 3 drives. wcarchive has 200Mb on
> >> each of 4 drives (total 800Mb)
>
> Vince> 	That's pretty big for a swap partitions...
>
> It all depends on what you're doing with it.  In my machine at work I
> have a 400 meg drive dedicated to swap.  The circuit synthesis and
> simulations we run here need LOTS of memory and swap.  The "big"
> machines in our group have 256M of memory and a 1 Gig swap drive.

	Hmmm, is there like a way to do well with a big swap and like 16 megs
of physical memory?  How much physical memory is on the machine with 400 meg
swap?

> I suppose splitting the large swap-space over 4 disks is probably much
> more efficient than having just a single big (and, might I add, LOUD)
> disk, but then who wants to be efficient? ;)

	I guess it would be since it would put less demand on the single
disk ;)

Cheers,
-Vince- vince@kbrown.oldcampus.yale.edu - GUS Mailing Lists Admin
UCLA Physics/Electrical Engineering - UC Berkeley Fall '95
SysAdmin bigbang.HIP.Berkeley.EDU - Running FreeBSD, Real UN*X for Free!
Chabot Observatory & Science Center