Date:      Fri, 21 Dec 2001 10:17:18 -0600
From:      D J Hawkey Jr <hawkeyd@visi.com>
To:        questions at FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Two FreeBSD slices on one HDD?

I'm sure this has been covered before, but a search came up blank, so
please pardon the repeat.

My HDD has two slices (aka, DOS primary partitions), ad0s2 being FreeBSD
4.2, and ad0s1 being WinME. I'd like to blow away ad0s1, and install the
forth-coming FreeBSD 4.5 in that slice (DOS partition).

Does FreeBSD have more than one slice (DOS partition) ID, such that I can
have two bootable primary partitions (DOS parlance), and bootEZ (whatever
it's called) will let my choose between them, as though FreeBSD were
sharing the HDD with some other OS?

Furthermore, can either then mount the other slices' partitions?

TIA,
Dave

--