Date:      Sat, 13 May 2000 14:40:46 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   modem / cuaa1 / ppp weirdness

I'm attempting to setup two ISA internal modems in a 486dx2-66 running
FreeBSD 4.0. The reason for internal ones is that the box was needed
urgently
(its a permanently connected internet gateway) and the bits lurking around
didn't
include a multi I/O card with 16550 UARTS. The internet modem has been
running well on cuaa0 for weeks, but I need to get the second modem on cuaa1
configured so it can connect the first LAN to a Win2000 / Win9x LAN a few
suburbs away. The motherboard is ISA / VESA, so there's no onboard COM ports
to cause conflicts, and both modems have jumper IRQ configuration.

I checked the kernel configuration file for tun & ppp devices, there are two
of each so I figure that won't need any modification.

(1) Despite the first modem working well, the output of dmesg looks weird to
me.
 sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
 sio0: type 16550A
sio1: configured irq3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio1 at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq3 on isa0
sio1: type 16550A
unknown0: <NetComm InModem 336> at port 0x3e8-0x3ef irq5 on isa0

Notwithstanding dmesg, the NetComm modem is set by jumpers for COM1 / IRQ4
(plug & pray is disabled) and both ppp.conf & minicom both recognize it on
cuaa0, so what gives here ??

To get the user-ppp working for the second modem I "borrowed" some ideas
from the ppp.conf.span-isp example file, which suggests its OK to add a
/dev/cuaa1 entry to the set device line, and an entry for the second host /
phone number etc.  Looking at ps -auxw when I attempt to run the second
modem suggests that ppp looks at the first /dev entry, and if thats busy it
goes to the next in the list.

The second modem is a slightly earlier Netcomm ..... it dials out readily
with minicom, but when I use either "ppp -ddial <somename>"  or the "ppp /
term" stuff, it just gets to "ppp ON> " and sits there all day...... ppp.log
says "/dev/cuaa1 doesn't support CD" There doesn't appear to be any mention
of this message in the mailing list archives but I suppose the only thing it
could mean is "carrier detect", from which I gather its trying to tell me it
doesn't detect dialtone ....... but if that's the case why does minicom have
no such problem ?? I don't think I can use minicom for anything but testing
as the link has to run TCP/IP networking & as far as I can tell thats not
what minicom was designed for.

I did consider trying to run kernel-ppp for the second link, but there's not
a lot of explicit info on that anywhere I could find.

Anyone have some clues on what to do here ??