Date:      Tue, 03 Dec 2013 18:33:59 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org>
To:        Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: BIND segway -> python -> first-class ports

On 12/3/13, 6:23 PM, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> On 4 Dec 2013, at 12:41, Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org> wrote:
>> So yes, let's get python in base, but *not make it user visible*. We need to only make it visible for internal use of our "src base".
> This would still be problematic for, say hypothetical Python bindings to BIND (I have no idea if they exist but let's assume they do).
>
> Either the bindings are hidden, in which case only 'base' can use them which makes them pointless, or they would need to be an external port (but they which Python would they use? ergh..)
>
> This is like the problem with Open Office having its own Python - unless you run that binary you can't safely use the bindings which renders them almost useless.

I see your point, however that's exactly how it should work.

For instance if we "hide" the compiler, we must still export it for
people to do things like build kernel modules, we just shouldn't name it
"cc" or put it into /usr/bin.  3rd parties that want to write code that
is loadable into the kernel or into bind or openoffice or whatever.

For access to these applications you must explicitly ask for them, not
stumble over them.

-Alfred