Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:21:22 +0100
From:      "Eckhard Kantz" <Eckhard.Kantz@gmx.de>
To:        <fs@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: httpfs

On Sat, 10 Mar 2001, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> A fully navigable httpfs (e.g. one you can ls and cd around in) is
> more work and probably requires a full stacking layer, but this would
> still be pretty cool.
>
> Is anyone feeling inspired to implement this? :-)

Starting most likely end of this month I am going to do a project where a
httpfs modul will be implemented as a virtual filesystem. This module should
allow to navigate through all files located at a web site as well as to
modify, create and delete them.

The httpfs module will behave accordingly to the WebDAV specification (see
http://www.ics.uci.edu/~ejw/authoring/) and as such it should collaborate
with all web servers supporting that specification. In opposite to other
approaches no additional CGI is needed to access files, database entries,
etc. at the web server since this functionality is provided by WebDAV.

Until now I don't have much experience with implementing a new virtual
filesystem in FreeBSD, so all advice and suggestions where to find more
related information are really appreciated. I had allready a short look into
the portalfs sources and it seems that this would be a good starting point?

An open issue is to find the right strategy for authentication of a local
user to the remote web site. Any ideas are welcome.

Regards,
Eckhard