Date:      Sun, 09 Jun 2002 17:45:48 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
To:        jhb@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.org, morganw@chemikals.org
Subject:   Re: newcard panic

In message: <XFMail.20020609144943.jhb@FreeBSD.org>
            John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org> writes:
:
: On 09-Jun-2002 M. Warner Losh wrote:
: > First, I'm assuming that you are doing this against a fairly recent
: > -current,  Please correct me of I'm wrong.
: >
: >: Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
: >: fault virtual address   = 0xdb6c7000
: >
: > This is a very very odd address to fault at.
:
: It's a stack address.  Looks like either a stack overrun or underrun.
:
: >: #11 0xc015efcc in pccard_scan_cis (dev=0xd4b1c800,
: >:     fct=0xc015fe82 <pccard_parse_cis_tuple>, arg=0xd91dcb8c)
: >:     at ../../../dev/pccard/pccard_cis.c:1196
: >
: > Here's where we get into trouble.  It looks like the Fault is at the
: > return line:
: >
: >
: > 1195: return (0);
: > 1196:}
: >
: > Does that match your sources?
:
: That would be consistent with a hosed stack.

Yup.  That's what I think too.  I'm going to have to study the code
very closely, since it is evil and the problem subtle.  I suspect that
I'll wind up finding a troublesome card and start to pare out the
hugeness of scan_cis into smaller, more manageable chunks, in addition
to seeing what NetBSD has done in this area.

Warner