Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2006 09:47:07 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Start dhcpd on boot

Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org> writes:

> On Sun, 16 Jul 2006, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>
>> Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org> writes:

>>> Again, the issue is *not* that dhcpd doesn't work - IT WORKS
>>> PERFECTLY. The issue is that the daemon doesn't start when the
>>> machine boots.
>>
>> Can you use the startup script to start it by hand?
>
> Yes. As I said in the original post,
> "After boot I can do a
> # /usr/local/etc/rc.d/isc-dhcpd.sh start
> ...and the daemon runs and works"

Oops.  Sorry I missed that.

Well, it almost *has* to be something small and silly, then.  What you
have configured is almost exactly the same as what works for me.
My settings come directly out of the pkg-message for the port, and are:
    # ### recommended settings for running isc-dhcpd
    dhcpd_enable="YES"
    dhcpd_flags="-q" 			# command option(s)
    dhcpd_conf="/usr/local/etc/dhcpd.conf" 	# configuration file
    dhcpd_ifaces="vr0" 			# ethernet interface(s)
    dhcpd_withumask="022" 		# file creation mask

Assuming that other scripts from that directory are starting properly,
my next step would be to inject debugging output into the script and
look at what actually gets printed to the console at boot.  If you
haven't looked at the existing console output already, that may have
some messages that didn't go into any log files.

Good luck, and sorry I can't be more helpful.
		http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/