Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 22:23:04 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Troy D <bsdboy20@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Optical mouse under 4.2

Troy D writes:
> Hi all,
> I got a new Logitech optical wheel mouse the other
> day, and have been trying to set it up under 4.2-R.
> It is a USB mouse, but it cam with a USB -> PS/2
> adapter, and I'm using that because I only have PS/2
> on the machine.  It works just fine under Win98, it
> detects it and works just as a standard PS/2 mouse,
> but I can't seem to get FreeBSD to acknowledge it's
> there.  I've tried setting it up with moused, using
> the PS/2 port, and almost all the protocols, even
> auto, and it never works.  I've also tried to set it
> up under the graphical X setup, with no luck.  I've
> tried using psm0, the "auto" feature with no luck.  I
> went from using a serial mouse to using a PS/2, and I
> made sure to recompile the kernel with the PS/2 stuff
> enabled and tried almost everything I could think of,
> if anyone has any tips, or has set up the same thing,
> any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Am using one right now on the PS/2 port of an Asus A7V under XFree86
4.0.3. Used exactly the same stuff as for my ball mouse, Logitec M/N
M-S35. My optical wheel mouse is M/N M-BD58.

Moused is running like this: "moused -p /dev/psm0 -t auto"

/etc/X11/XF86Config has this entry:

Section "InputDevice"
# Identifier and driver
    Identifier  "Mouse1"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "auto"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/mouse"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4  5"
EndSection

with the ZAxisMapping the wheel scrolls xterms. One day I'll figure out
how to do the same in Netscape Communicator. It currently does
something in Communicator's newsreader for moving around in a newsgroup
but what it does isn't useful. Else I haven't figured out the pattern
of it jumping messages.

Same mouse works very well on my USB Macintosh systems with no software
added. Something else I need to look into as I'd like the wheel to do
something there too.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net