Date:      Tue, 1 Jun 1999 12:40:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      <kip@lyris.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: net.inet.tcp.always_keepalive on as default ?

I think it is fair to say that the nature of the internet has changed
somewhat since the standards were made. Keepalives by default are not sent
until after two hours, if they are acknowledged no more packets are sent.
If not 10 more probes are sent 75 seconds apart before the connection is
declared dead. I think it somewhat silly to say that this is consuming a
lot of bandwidth. The average mail message (4k) is 4 packets, the average
telnet session is at least several hundred and an ftp session is going to
be many, many more.

Back in the day when people were arguing about the congestion it would
create a 300baud modem was considered completely normal. Nowadays, when
the average gaudy web page is > 20k (read ~20 1k packets) it is safe to
say that things have changed.

				-Kip