Date:      Sat, 1 Apr 2000 12:46:56 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Chris Byrnes <chris@shell.jeah.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: symlinking /var/mail to /usr/mail

On Sat, Apr 01, 2000 at 07:08:23AM -0600, Chris Byrnes wrote:
> I am running out of space on /var, so I'd like to remove /var/mail,
> create /usr/mail, and create a symlink so /var/mail forwards to
> /usr/mail.
>
> I know how to do that and stuff, but I'm not sure what permissions /usr/mail
> should have and who should own it.
>
> Advice?

Well, I think giving /usr/mail the same permissions and ownership as
/var/mail would be a pretty safe way to go. In my case I would,

  # mkdir /usr/mail
  # chown root.mail /usr/mail
  # chmod 775 /usr/mail
  # kill `head -1 /var/run/sendmail.pid`
  # tar cf - -C /var/mail . | tar xf - -C /usr/mail
  # mv /var/mail /var/mail.old                      # just to be safe
  # ln -s usr/mail /var/mail
  # /usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -q30m

And I think that would do it. Remove /var/mail.old when you verify
everything got copied and is working fine.