Date:      Thu, 25 Nov 1999 21:59:12 +0100 (CET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        groudier@club-internet.fr (Gerard Roudier)
Cc:        winter@jurai.net, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NEWS: SYM53C1010 and Ultra3 support

As Gerard Roudier wrote ...

> > Isn't there a way to have sym understand both old and new chips, with the
> > new chips result in a full featured driver, whereas at the same time
> > the older chip revs run in 'compatibility mode'. Or does this introduce
> > too much bloat?
>
> There is no way from me for either developing or maintaining the driver
> you seem to want to have and I will _never_ use such a driver since I
> know of either the complexity=less reliability or the lacking of feature
> support such a driver would suffer of.

OK, that is clear.

> If such a driver ever comes from another source, this will not be a
> problem for me at all, as you can guess.

> > Don't misunderstand: I think getting a better NCR driver is an excellent
> > development!
>
> I do misunderstood all of your postings, and btw, if the ncr driver would

Please!! I am not attacking anyone, especially not you. <Sigh>

> have appeared to me way broken or too much under-featured I would have

It is my impression, but I could be wrong (read the freebsd-scsi archives)
that the complexity and/or difficulty of the ncr driver was spurring the
development of a successor (sym).

> NCR has sold its micro-electronic department since about 7 years IIRC.
> Advertising NCR when talking about the SYM53C8XX family does not make
> sense since years. SYMBIOS ingenieers have done a _great_ job in the
> enhancement of the 53C8XX family and AFAIK the SYMBIOS brand name still
> exists (you may have a look at LSILOGIC site).

I know. And we almost lost Symbios to Adaptec too. Fortunately that did not
happen.

Wilko