Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 2001 23:36:53 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Wolfram Schneider <wosch@panke.de.freebsd.org>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>, cvs-committers@freebsd.org, cvs-all@freebsd.org, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: www/en Makefile

--huq684BweRXVnRxX

Copying -doc, reply-to set there.

On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 10:45:08PM +0100, Wolfram Schneider wrote:
> it seems you don't *want* understand me.
>=20
> Symlinks on a web server are evil. It hurt. Don't do that! Period!!!

References?  Granted, it's been about 18 months since I was doing web
work professionally, but that's not a view I've heard expoused with such
vehemence.  It's true that depending on the server configuration you
might incur an extra lstat(2) call, but that's about it.

If it's a huge problem, we can always make .../{FAQ, handbook, tutorials}=
=20
be real directories, and then populate them with hardlinks instead.

Either way, the content is only on the disk once, rather than in multiple
places.

> You can use symlinks during the build process, as we always do.
> But never use symbolic links to a directory on a web server.

Suggest another mechanism that will allow our mirrors to reliably mirror
content, without access to our httpd.conf?  There have been complaints
on -doc over the last few months about this.

> >> You did 1 year a go a re-organization of the doc tree with the long =
=20
> >> directory names (en_US.ISO_8859-1/books/faq) Several people objected=
=20
> >> and it was a long flame war. It was consensus that we *do not* change
> >> the directory structure of the web server.
> >
> >I'm not changing the directory structure of the web server.  I'm adding
> >to it.  Over time, I expect that the *implementation* of the existing
> >structure will change, to use symlinks to support some of the existing
> >structure, instead of having to check things out multiple times, or
> >build them multiple times.
>=20
> This is not true. You already changed the directory structure of the
> web server.=20

That's an argument for never adding any additional content or
directories to the website.  I can't seriously believe that that's what
you mean.

None of my changes to date (or changes planned) render any existing URLs
invalid, nor will they.

> Your changes are not thought through.=20

I beg to differ.  But any time the topic of restructuring the website,
or anything remotely like it has been bought up on -doc, as it has been
periodically over the past few years, you've never commented.

Should you want to start, and participate in, a discussion on -doc about
the website, and the various ideas and plans people have for it, that
would be great.  I know that at least nbm and asmodai have been thinking
about this, and I'm sure jkh will have some input as well.

Let's continue this on -doc.  It would be great if you could start by
outlining what your plans are for the website for the next 6-12 months,
what you think it's shortcomings are, and how you are planning on
getting them fixed.

If you can't do this (lack of time, or whatever) then I respect that.
But I also think it would be a good idea if you would let those of us
who have got the time to think on these problems and try and implement
solutions to them go ahead and do so.

--=20

--huq684BweRXVnRxX

--huq684BweRXVnRxX--