Date:      Fri, 9 Jan 2004 11:51:12 -0700
From:      "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <chad@shire.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   how many mounts can a system have?

I am experimenting with using nfs mounts from localhost to build a set
of read only mounts of basic system directories so that I have a single
"filebase" to base a farm of jails off of.  Ie,

mount localhost:/jail/master/bin /jail/myjail1/bin
mount localhost:/jail/master/libexec /jail/myjail1/libexec
etc

Currently I am doing this with

/bin
/lib
/libexec
/sbin
/usr/bin
/usr/include
/usr/lib
/usr/libexec
/usr/sbin
/usr/share

The following remain as separate per jail structures:

/etc
/var
/usr/local

and also something I call /local which is a separate file-backed FS (md
based).  This is where the user sticks all their stuff.

The idea is to make it easier to upgrade and maintain a large number of
jails.  Upgrade the (non running) master and youonly have to merge etc
and stuff like that in the individuals...

It seems to be working pretty well in test.

I was wondering how well this will scale (ie, how many jails I can
make)?  How many different mounts can I do on the base system before
you either have performance problems or you hit a limit?

I did some simple Googles and didn't find any answer on how many mounts
you can have.

Thanks
Chad