Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2001 14:43:17 -0500
From:      Matt Penna <mdp1261@ritvax.isc.rit.edu>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Foreign language links, Was "doc"

At 02:05 AM 12/11/01 +0100, JalaL wrote:
>Bonjour!
>   Je suis un nouveau utilisateur de FreeBSD et j'ai besoin de la
>documentation (installation, configuration) de preference en format pdf et en
>francais.Merci.
>
>J.MOURID, Debian lover.

Dear folks,

I responded privately with (I hope) a useful answer to this, but this
request made me look for a link to French documentation from
www.freebsd.org and the only one I was able to find was from
http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/translations.html.

Unless I'm overlooking something obvious, it seems that links to
documentation in other languages are, for the most part, very much buried.
There's nothing wrong with the Doc project Translations page, but assuming
someone has only a very basic understanding of English, navigating to this
page from the main page would seem to be a matter of pure luck.

I'm not quite sure what to suggest, though. Assuming a full translation of
the web site is not available in a particular language and therefore a
direct link at the top of the front page is not warranted, how could the
site be changed so that those without an understanding of English can
easily find documentation they can understand while keeping things
reasonably well-organized?

         Matt

--
Matt Penna                                      mdp1261@rit.edu
ICQ: 399825                                     S0ba on AOLIM