Date:      Mon, 03 Feb 1997 19:07:24 -0500
From:      Bob Marsh <bmarsh@hicom.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Help with IDE CD-ROM

Hello,

I'm trying to install FreeBSD, and I could use a little guidance on
getting the IDE CD-ROM to work.  Here's the system configuration:

       486DX/66 w/32mBytes RAM
       Dual port EIDE Controller for HDs & CD-ROM
       C: drive - 420Mb IDE
       D: drive - 850Mb with two partitions:
               D: 350Mb Primary DOS
               E: 500Mb Secondary DOS (for the UNIX Partition)
       Both HDs are on the first EIDE port
       Sony CDU55E 2X IDE CD-ROM on 2nd EIDE port configured as "Master"
       3.5/1.44 Floppy
       HP/Colorado 250/350Mb Tape Drive
       Logitech Bus Mouse
       Trident SVGA adaptor W/SVGA monitor
       US Robotics Sportster 33.6 Modem on Com 1
       Windows 95

I managed to partially install BSD (the "bin" and "floppies"
directories) on the second Hard Drive (the E: logical drive).  It will
boot, and seems to work (if I can only figure out what to do next)  I'd
like to complete the installation off the CD, but that's a problem.  the
kernal recognizes both IDE ports, but doesn't see any device (the
CD-ROM) on the second port.

I hope I've provided sufficient information.  I'm still trying to figure
out what's up here.  My experience level with UNIX is "0" (nil).  The
folks at Walnut creek tried to assist, but were unable to help.

Please get back to me as soon as possible.  I'd like to keep SOME of my
hair!

Thanks very much

Bob Marsh