Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 2003 21:17:29 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>
To:        spork@inch.com, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LAST_ACK timeout

In article <local.mail.freebsd-stable/20030224181605.T29646@shell.inch.com> you write:
>Hello,
>
>I recently ran into a situation on a large mail server where MSN.com had
>what looks to be problems with their load balancers.  The end result of
>this was that we had almost 4,000 connections in "LAST_ACK" state which
>led to the box no longer being able to establish outgoing connections.  It
>wasn't clear exactly what resource was being exhausted (wasn't mbufs, and
>nothing at all in the logs).

In LAST_ACK state, the machine should keep retransmitting the FIN
until it gets an ACK from the peer, or the connection times out,
which should take roughly 8 minutes.  If the connections stay around
forever, then something is broken.

ISTR someone mentioning that things were working as expected in the
latest -stable, which version are you using?
--
Jonathan