Date:      Mon, 28 Apr 1997 11:04:43 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A Desparate Plea for Help...

Simon Shapiro wrote:

> hi Y'all,
>

> The last and most troubling problem is a complete crash/freeze when running
> certain X11 applications;  At ONE point, we managed to observe a panic that
> went something like:
>
> Fata trap 12 page fault at 0xf71e0014
>
> _spec_open+0x6e
> _vm_open
> _open
> _syscall
> _Xsyscall
>
> There was a mention of bash in this panic.

The best thing for you to do with this
is to compile the gernet
using -g
do this by using
config -g
do: (on the compile machine)
make
cp kernel kernel.debug
strip -d kernel

also:
cat >.gdbinit <<DONE
set remotebaud 9600
file kernel.debug
target remote  /dev/cuaa1
DONE

compile the options DDB and set the default
debugger to be gdb by booting with -g

then if you get a crash,
make sure that /dev/cuaa1 (com2) on your source machine is
connected to com1 on the victim machine
and type
cd /sys/compile/<MYKENREL>
gdb

this (due to the .gdbinit) will fire up gdb and allow you to walk up and
down the
stack trace of the crashed kernel.

even if the screen is stuck in X11.

there are some problems I've seen.

1/ the newest gdb versions are not as good at doing this as some of the
older ones.
and sometimes get confused.
2/ you must remember to make sure the system has sert gdb to be the
kernel debugger.
(there may be a compile time option for this.. I forget)
3/ some uarts don't like this if com1 is already being used for
something..
(move your mouse to com2)

julian