Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 23:14:18 -0000 (GMT)
From:      Duncan Barclay <dmlb@dmlb.org>
To:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>, Michael C.Wu <keichii@iteration.net>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Subject:   Re: Mobile phone coverage (was: VCD (was Re: cvs commit: src/sys

On 22-Jan-01 David Scheidt wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>:On Sunday, 21 January 2001 at 21:10:08 -0600, Michael C . Wu wrote:
>:> On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 03:42:45AM +0100, Brad Knowles scribbled:
>:>> At 12:35 PM +1030 2001/1/22, Greg Lehey wrote:
>:>>
>:>>>  That's not the issue here.  BTW, for the USA you need a three-band
>:>>>  phone.  That is, incidentally, the only kind of phone which will work
>:>>>  just about anywhere (I'm not sure about Israel and Korea).
>:>>
>:>>    Uhh, I think you need more than that.  Let's count:
>:>>
>:>>            AMPS/NAMPS
>:>>            US TDMA (1900Mhz? 900Mhz?)
>:>>            US CDMA (1900Mhz? 900Mhz?)
>:>>            US GSM (1900Mhz)
>:>
>:> US 1900 and 900
>
> The US is 1900 and 800, not 900.  The 900 Mhz freqs used by GSM in the rest
> of the world are the property of the US military.  To be honest, I'm not
> sure there are any AMPS band GSM carriers in the US.  Maybe Bell South DCS?
>
>:I've been looking at web pages, and it doesn't sound to me that 3G is
>:a new transmission technology, just something that climbs on the back
>:of one.  Is there any reason why it should be tied to CDMA and not to
>:GSM?
>
> Yes.  CDMA has much better use of bandwidth.  All users of a CDMA channel
> use it simultanously, not time multiplexed.  The data travelling across the
> air interface are encoded with a walsh code, which allows the receiver to
> pick out each data stream, because some mathmattecian was bloody clever.
> I'm unable to find a good web reference right at the moment, but CDMA is
> clearly a better choice than any of the TDMA solutions.

Are you basing your "clearly a better choice" on the fact the CDMA uses Walsh
codes?

A few things - CDMA needs a greater bandwidth to transmit a channel than TDMA.
This is because of the Walsh codes that are convolved with the data a 3.84Mb/s
when the data is only 9.6kb/s. Having users transmit on the same frequency
increases the noise power in each users receiver and from Shannon this places a
limit on the capacity. Transmitted power must be adjusted much more
carefully than in TDMA to ensure that the basestation isn't overloaded
by a user close it to (near-far problem).

Here CDMA as an RF technology wins is in multipath resiliance. Each  data bit is
spread over a wider bandwidth by the Walsh code making it resiliant to
frequency dependent fading. Becuase Walsh codes are orthogonal, easy to
correlate against them. With mutil-path effects that cause bits to run into
each other (inter-symbol interferance) the Walsh code allows the receiver to
very accurately equalise the delays out (Rake receiver and Turbo-coding).

Duncan

> David

Duncan

---