Date:      Sat, 03 Jul 1999 09:01:14 +0400
From:      Alex Povolotsky <tarkhil@asteroid.svib.ru>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Soft-updates feedback

About a week ago, I've posted a message here and didn't got positive replies.

The problem is:

when I use soft-updates on IDE disks (disk on primary master, disk on
secondary master, CD on primary slave), any active disk-using program
(starting Netscape, starting EXMH) causes all other programs literally to stop
for several seconds (well, 20-30 seconds is quite often!). Turning
soft-updates off causes this nastiness to disappear, but also slows down
disk-active processess.

Alex.