Date:      Thu, 23 Aug 2001 22:26:42 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <thomas.beer@de.pwcglobal.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE:

Ugh - the handbook as a mistake, floppy controller tapedrive support went
away due to lack of interest from anyone wanting to work on it.

QIC-O2 support is provided by the wt driver.

>This includes 8-mm (aka Exabyte) and DAT drives.
>The QIC-40/80 drives are known to be slow.
>
>Does this mean, that _all_ SCSI tape drives are supported

Basically yes.  But it depends on what you mean by support.  Tape Changers
for example, well there's programs that can control the tape selector,
but not every changer will work with them.  Other similarly esoteric features
of some SCSI tapedrives may not be supported either.

>AFAIK the last should be true, but I couldn't find an information
>about which drives
>are supported...

Any tapedrive that's SCSI-2 is most likely going to work fine, and even the
most
common SCSI-1 drives are supported.  (some SCSI-1 tapedrives didn't completely
or properly implement all SCSI sequential media commands)