Date:      Mon, 1 Nov 2004 15:44:48 +0100
From:      Mark Frasa <bsd@frasa.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   SATA Raid cards

Hello,

I am standing in front of a dilemma.

Recently i built a custom 1u server. In this server i added 2 Maxtor SATA disks but the controller i bought is not supported as in: The RAID controller is not
reconized, but the SATA controller IS.

I thought that geom_vinum would solve that problem, but i got some problems with that setup because geom_vinum does some incorrect handlings.

Now i am at the point that i can do 2 things:

1- Buy PATA disks and run on FreeBSD 4.10
2- Buy a SATA-Raid controller that is supported.

Can anyone tell me which RAID controllers are supported by FreeBSD (4.x or 5.x)?

Secondly it is going to be a production machine. Would it be better to run 4 or will 5 do?

Cheers Mark.