Date:      Sat, 11 May 2002 01:03:38 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Jud <jud@myrealbox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WindowsXP Pro and FreeBSD

On 2002-04-29 12:26, Jud wrote:
> Multibooting WinNT 5 or 2000 and FreeBSD will work. To my knowledge,
> FreeBSD can be booted with almost any other OS. Although I and many
> other people have problems with the FreeBSD booteasy bootloader,
> after installing FreeBSD onto a disk with win2000, the menu to boot
> loader will look sonething similar to this:
>
> F1: ???
> F2: FreeBSD
>
> I do not know how to get rid of the ???, and have not been provided
> with an answer.

Sorry for replying so long after the original post, but I've been away
for a while and since nobody else has replied, I thought I'd share my
little knowledge on the matter at hand.

This is what the boot code of FreeBSD uses to list partitions whose
partition type is ``not known'' to the boot code.  Limitations in the
space that the boot code can occupy on the disk make it hard to have a
full list of the dozens of partition types that exist nowadays and
their respective names and still keep the size of the bootcode down to
a reasonable value.

Look at the source of /usr/src/sys/boot/i386/boot0/boot0.s for a list
of the partition types that are recognized by the boot0 stage of the
FreeBSD boot process.  This is written in x86 assembly, so you might
find it hard to read, but the source is there.  For everyone to see ;)

Giorgos Keramidas                       FreeBSD Documentation Project
keramida@{freebsd.org,ceid.upatras.gr}  http://www.FreeBSD.org/docproj/