Date:      Tue, 30 Dec 2008 14:00:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Bryan Alves <bryanalves@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS locking problems with 7.0-RELEASE

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008, Bryan Alves wrote:

[stuff snipped]
> When I export my home directory and mount it on my linux client, I run into
> all sorts of problems with file locking.  The biggest problem is the
> inability to run firefox.  When stracing an execution of firefox, execution
> hangs when opening it's .parentlock file for F_GETLK.  I also notice
> messages in /var/log/messages on the client on occasion:

I can't help w.r.t. getting the NKM to work (I've always thought that the
NLM protocol was a crock and avoided using it). But, here's a couple of
things you could try to avoid using the NLM.

- Do the Linux mount with the "nolock" option. (If Ubuntu has a
   "locallock" option, that would be even better, but I'm not sure what
   options recent Linux's have for nfs mounts.)

- Download my server patches (ftp.cis.uoguelph.ca/pub/nfsv4/FreeBSD7) and
   switch to using nfsv4, which has integral locking in the protocol.

Have a good holiday, rick