Date:      Thu, 03 Oct 2013 10:45:38 -0700
From:      Darren Pilgrim <list_freebsd@bluerosetech.com>
To:        Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>, FBSD Doc project <doc@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org" <freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: About FreeBSD.org visitors

On 10/3/2013 8:14 AM, Eitan Adler wrote:
> Here is an overview of the people that visit FreeBSD.org:
> http://people.freebsd.org/~eadler/files/Report-10.01.pdf
>
> Some takeaways:
>
> - More than half (60%) the people that come to our website leave
> without going to another page (called 'bouncing').  However these
> users spend more time than any other user per page.

In the Google-driven world, this is normal.  Users search Google for the
FreeBSD.org page they want and Google does a pretty amazing job of
finding it.

Interestingly, that freebsd.org gets a lot of bounces indicates the
information is organized, stable, reliably searchable, and labelled
well.  These are very good things that are a lot less common than they
should be.  It also means the site makes deep bookmarks reliable.

As such a user, I use Google to find, say, the errata pages or the
release cycle data and just go to those pages directly.  I also have the
FTP site listing and the send-pr page bookmarked.