Date:      Tue, 29 May 2001 22:01:06 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 'make includes' ownership patch

On Mon, 28 May 2001, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Mon, May 28, 2001 at 10:31:58AM -0700, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> > > [Someone wrote]
> > > What was the reasoning for a serperate owner specification from BIN*?
> >
> > Simple orthagonality.  Ie, each bsd.*.mk file typically has a seperate
> > set of *{DIR/OWN/GRP/MODE} specs.  bsd.inc.mk was cloned from another
> > bsd.*.mk file.
>
> Well, I don't mind how it gets fixed, but it's very unorthogonal at
> the moment having to set two sets of OWN/GRP variables in order to
> make includes as non-root.

This shouldn't be a problem, because "includes" is an undocumented private
target in src/Makefile.inc1.  Running it independently of buildworld
is usually wrong.  You would have to set the two sets to run buildworld.
You would also have to set the other set that doesn't default to the BIN
set, i.e., the SHARE set.  To set all the sets to different values, you
would also have to set the following sets:

    KMOD, LIB (these mostly default to the BIN set)
    DOC, INFO, MAN, NLS (these mostly default to the SHARE set)

There is a little too much orthogonality here.

Bruce