Date:      Mon, 27 Aug 2001 12:08:35 -0700
From:      Michael Collette <metrol@earthlink.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.org>, FreeBSD <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: IRQ Problems with Stable

Warner,

  I haven't sent you an entire dmesg yet.  I'll see if I can do one up to a
floppy and move it on over to send a little later.  In the mean time, here's
a manually typed pcic0 line from it.

pcic0: <TI PCI-1250 PCI-CardBus Bridge> mem 0x7fffe000-0x7fffefff irq 11 at
device 12.0 on pci0

  With that in mind I went looking at my kernel config file once again, and
noticed that the IRQ can be set for pcic0 in there.  So I tried setting it.
Now I get into some really disturbing tid bits.  Before I get into all that,
here's a quick run down of how I compile a kernel by itself.

cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
config MetKernel
cd ../../compile/MetKernel
make clean
make depend
make
make install

  Thus far I haven't been able to get past make.  I keep erroring out when it
tries to compile ipfiltering.  ipfiltering??  I went back over my kernel
config, and also reviewed LINT again.  I never enabled ipfiltering!  Worse
yet, it's stopping while compiling ip6fw.ko.  I specifically disabled all IP6
related options as I usually do.
  Next time I ran the compile I also noticed other tid bits like sound
support being compiled.  I had intended to come back and add that to the
kernel config later, but there it was scrolling on by compiling code for it.
What the heck is going on??

  What started this rather long thread for me was pccard.conf not being
properly read, thus locking my system solid due to IRQ conflicts.  Now it
seems that even the kernel config isn't being read like it should.  I'm just
one very confused user out here.

  So as not to leave on a rant, here's a few other tid bits of
troubleshooting I attempted.  I tried setting hw.pcic.init_routing to both 1
and 0 with a reboot for both.  No effect on the IRQ setting, but since it was
being discussed on this thread I thought I'd give it a shot.  Also tried
hw.pcic.irq and hw.pcic.intr_path at various settings, no effect.
  Going in and booting off of GENERIC seems to work though.  No IRQ problems,
and the NIC loads up fine without any lockups.  With the NIC card working I
went and pulled down a fresh cvsup as of a couple hours ago from cvsup10's
server.  Rebuilt world and did all the usual stuff.  Now I'm getting pcic0
allocated to IRQ 11 as before, but when I put in the NIC card it reports
being assigned to IRQ9.  Success?  Nope.  I get a /kernel/ed0 timeout error
now.  No lock up, but no worky either.
  On top of that, USB and sound support are still compiling, even though I
remarked them out in my config.  I can see it is reading the config file due
to when I reboot I get the proper ident in dmesg.
  Is something really horribly wrong here, or am I just pushing the wrong
buttons?

Later on,

--
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too
dark to read."