Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 1996 13:10:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
To:        Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NIS problem

On Wed, 20 Mar 1996, Bill Paul wrote:

> > 	I've set the appropriate settings in sysconfig, and am running
> > ypbind -s on that machine, but try as I might, I can't login to that
> > machine unless the user entry is in the password file on that machine.
>
> There's stuff missing here. Editing sysconfig is not all there is
> to it (though I'm sure people would like it to be that way :). You
> need to add +::::::::: to the end of /etc/master.passwd and rebuild

	That did it...I had put +:+:::::::: in my master.passwd file ;(
Works now, thanks.

> Read the passwd(5) man page when modifying /etc/master.passwd. Don't
> get clever with the magic '+' entries unless you know what you're
> doing. Don't use +:*::::::::. Don't use +::0:0::::::. Don't use
> any combination thereof. This is not SunOS. Don't expect everything
> to work the same.

	Ack...I looked through every YP man page I could find, but didn't
even think to look at passwd(5)...sorry for wasting time :(

	It works now, thanks ...

Marc G. Fournier | POP Mail  Telnet Acct  DNS Hosting
System           |  WWW Services   Database Services  | Knowledge,
  Administrator  |                                    | Information and
 scrappy@ki.net  |      WWW: http://www.ki.net        | Communications, Inc