Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 2002 17:47:44 -0700
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>
To:        julian@elischer.org
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Renumbering IPPROTO_DIVERT

>I think though that there should be a "compat" shim that
>does the right thing but is VERY NOISY.

What's the right thing?

I think the right thing is to open a real raw socket.  If we are really
feeling generous, print a message that someone used the old divert socket
and if they meant to use the old divert socket they need to be recompiled.

(Recall that this silent failure mode is the same behavior that a
DIVERT-using application sees if it is run on a kernel without IPDIVERT,
so people should be used to it.)

  Bill