Date:      Mon, 5 Jun 1995 07:41:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      william pechter ILEX <pechter@stars.sed.monmouth.army.mil>
To:        gpalmer@westhill.cdrom.com (Gary Palmer)
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD-hackers)
Subject:   Re: too many sig 11's

> In message <199506051054.DAA18231@freefall.cdrom.com>, william pechter ILEX wri
> tes:
> >Looks like I get the sig 11's when trying to gunzip the cpio (root) floppy.
> >It seems like there's a definite problem.
>
> Could you send me details of your system?
>
> E.g. do you have:
>
> a) A system with a SCSI controller (most likely Adaptec) with ISA
> transfer rate turned up to high, or the ISA clock speed set wrong?
Adaptec 1542B with the transfer rate at 5 and the clock speed on
this machine is fixed.

> b) A system which has been found to have problems in the cache (read
> the mailing list archives for details, it was recent but with all the
> events recently I can't remember). You may want to try turning the 2nd
> level cache mode to `write through' or off.

OK... done.  I'm just getting the new floppies now.
There's no write through/write back on this 486... I think the cache
is all write through.

Bill

 Bill Pechter |Systems Administrator  | N2RDI
 Ilex Systems |170 Patterson Ave      | Shrewsbury, New Jersey 07702
 908-532-2369 |pechter@sesd.ilex.com  | pechter@stars.sed.monmouth.army.mil