Date:      Sat, 21 Mar 1998 19:31:35 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Cory Kempf <ckempf@enigami.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Today's kernel doesn't work on (my) DK440LX

> At 23:48 -0500 98.03.14, Mike Smith wrote:
> >> My system seems to be dependent on the line:
> >>
> >> 	config		kernel  root on da0 swap on generic
> >
> >The 'generic' keyword causes a search for suitable devices.  Because
> >the bootstrap doesn't recognise the 'da' device, it passes 0 in as the
> >boot major.
>
> So, what should I use for the device?  And (more importantly) where do I
> find this stuff out?

You shouldn't care, especially if you just use

config kernel on wd0

> If I try sd0 as the device, config returns that it is unrecognized.
>
> After booting, / is mounted on /dev/da0a, which has a major device number
> of 4 and a minor device number of 0.  Perhaps da4a will work...

It sounds like the CAM code replaces "sd" everywhere with "da".  Maybe
you haven't updated config?

> >The kernel recently started trusting this value; you will need to extend
> >the bootstrap so that it supplies it correctly.
>
> Uh, how do I do that? For that matter, what does that mean?

You can ignore the advice; the bootstrap will believe that it is
booting from a SCSI disk, but now SCSI disks are called 'da'.

> >> In my kernel config file.  Especially the 'swap on generic' part.  If I
> >> take it out, or replace it with anything I have tried so far, my kernel
> >> doesn't work at all.  If I attempt to boot, the system attempts to change
> >> root to wd0s2b, and I get a Fatal Trap 12.  Doing a trace says that it is
> >> happening in _ffs_mount().
> >
> >This is probably because the disk type on your disk is incorrect.  What
> >does 'disklabel' say about your boot disk?
>
> # /dev/rda0a:
> type: ESDI
> It lies: The disk is a SCSI device and the RPM is 10,000.

You should use 'disklabel -e' to correct ESDI->SCSI.  The rpm value is
ignored, but you can change it anyway if it offends your sensibilities.
8)

The missing SCSI value is the problem here; because the disk is
mislabelled, the bootstrap is passing the wrong value in to the kernel,
and the kernel is trying to mount the wrong device.  Because you have
no 'wd' code in your kernel, the attempt to use that driver fails more
spectacularly.

Sorry for the delay in the response to your problem.